Monday, February 6, 2012

Culture


           One of the most key themes that appeared in the reading and most likely will reappear for the course is culture. I feel that everyone defines the word a different way. With that comes many questions that appear such as what is the real definition of culture, and how do those definitions affect those teaching and learning a language. It is important for us as future professors of English as a second language to understand what our students will be bringing to the table, who they are, where they are from etc. Also, it is the idea that these students are not only learning a new language but they are becoming accustomed to a brand new culture as well. I can’t imagine how overwhelmed some of these learners must be. The only time that I have experienced being placed in a situation like that would be when I studied abroad in Spain. I was forced to change my ways and accept a new culture for the five months that I was abroad. I also had to learn a new language, Spanish as my second language.
            After reading the Atkinson article, I realized that there may not be one exact or correct definition for the word culture. With that being said, I was stumbled because then how do we go about defining this major theme. Another point that was discussed was that culture itself may not have a place in the education field. I disagree because culture is present everywhere that you go, especially in schools. Education gives a chance to embrace all of the different cultures especially in learning new cultures aside from your own.
            Being an American, I feel that all of us should have respect for the constantly changing society with new cultures. It is something to be embraced I feel and not pushed away. As a future educator, I will be helping future immigrants for example to broaden their culture, not by changing who they are. I see it as building onto what culture they already have and giving them the knowledge to embrace the English language for example.
            The Holliday reading was interesting and it made me think about the fact that I have my Spanish boyfriend visiting America for the first time. He doesn’t speak English but is eager to learn. After reading the charts on pages 57-59 I began to laugh a little bit because of how much this can apply to our relationship. We have both had the chance to appreciate our very own cultures by missing things about them. “Appreciate that every society is as complex and culturally varied as your own” (Holliday, 2010) For example, my boyfriend Mario misses the food in Spain, especially the bread, however can’t get enough of Taco Bell ;). Another thing caught my attention was the idea of stereotyping and trying to explain the different people of America to him was very difficult. I’m not sure if he understood how culturally integrated the country is to begin with. I feel that we share something special in the sense that we are able to share our cultures and essentially “add layers” onto who we are. Experiences like this will better educate me for when I have students with different religions, traditions, mannerisms etc. that will be sitting in my classroom. I want to have a strong cultural knowledge to make all students feel welcome in the sense that they too can succeed in embracing new culture and language.
            I now can view culture in a different light. I can see and understand the complexity of the world culture and the impact that it will have on my future career as an educator. The readings made an impact on my thoughts and made me think about how I perceive the statements for example in the Holliday reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment