Monday, February 6, 2012

Social Identity in Language


The first article that I looked at was Norton’s article in regards to social identity, investment and language learning. Bart from the Simpsons caught my attention right away because it was something that I could relate to. Putting myself in Eva, an immigrant language learner’s position, I too would feel uncomfortable. Once again, I think that it raises the question of judgment. Norton states that Eva, for not being familiar with the character from the show could be seen as a poor language learner who has not developed sociolinguistic competence. I myself, never really watched the Simpsons however have lived here my entire life I would be able to recognize the character. The article made me realize how difficult it must be for immigrants or second language learners to be put in situations like that of Eva. It also made me think about how hard it may be to not only learn the language but then have to obtain the knowledge of the social aspect of another culture. With that being said, it also made me realize the importance of exposure to the language. It truly reflects the motivation one must have to not only learn a language but to learn a culture. I remember when I studied abroad in Spain and the daily situations that I faced. I know that for a fact I would not have the speaking abilities that I do now in the language of Spanish if it was not for immersing myself into the culture. I was surrounded by the language daily with my local friends from the area. Many times the two cultures clashed and I felt like Eva when my Spanish friends would say “you don’t know what that is!?”
            Hall touches on the idea of social identity and how we are defined by part of our membership in a range of social groups into which we may have been born. This made me realize how many groups that I belong to. All of these layers have an effect on when we use language. In reference to our involvement in the various activities of social institutions such as school, church, family and the workplace, Hall states “these institutions give shape to the kinds of groups to which we have access and to the role-relationships we can establish with others.” All of these social groups play a role in how we use language.
As Hall summarizes at the end of Chapter 2 it states, “this view recognizes that culture does not exist apart from language or apart from us, as language users.” I feel that this statement clarifies that culture and language go hand in hand. Hall talks about the idea of socialization. Hall also talks about how language helps a person to identify themselves.
            These readings demonstrated the sense of identity and language and helped me to think about my very own identity and how that will play a role in my classroom. I was overwhelmed with everything that makes up culture and identity and now understand the investment that it can be in learning a new language or assimilating into a new culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment